Lupita Nyong’o burst onto the scene in 2013 with her amazing performance in 12 Years a Slave, and has since shown off her amazing style on red carpet after red carpet. Her signature look is bold color, great shapes, simple silhouettes, and matching. This outfit is no different – and is super-simple to DIY. Here’s how:
- For her sheath dress: Make your dress using BurdaStyle Fitted Sheath Dress Pattern 06/2012 #129. To add areas of different-colored fabric, you may have to employ some pattern modifications.Following this tutorial here should help create those long gorgeous vertical waves, similar to the Calvin Klein version. You could also try this dress pattern for a similar colorblocking effect (but just in a different shape). Fabrics to use: Riley Blake Cotton Jersey Knit in Aqua, Organic Cotton Interlock Knit in Turquoise, and Stretch Rayon Jersey Knit in Rich Orange.
- For her triangle earrings: It’s difficult to tell from the photo, but Lupita seems to be sporting a pair of metal (or white) triangle earrings. Here or here are two very similar pairs.
- For her ribbon ring: Make your own out from a strip cut out of embossing metal and glued together in a loop, with a smaller loop glued around the middle (to look like a sweet little bow). You can find embossing metal at Jo-Ann Fabric Stores or here online.
- For her pebbled clutch: Using my tutorial here, you can add texture to an affordable clutch with Tulip 3D Paints. (You can also just paint a Goodwill find with acrylic paints if you find a clutch the perfect shape!)
- For her strappy color-blocked heels: I’m afraid you’ll have to buy these beauties since they’re pretty much un-DIY-able…but these are a good, affordable version in a heel, or these in a flat sandal.
How would YOU accessorize this cool colorblocked sheath?
Lupita Nyong’o photo source. Clutch image from here. Collage by me.
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you click on a link and purchase something. To read my full Disclosure Policy, click here.
Filed in: Celeb Style, DIY That Style, How-To, Styling, Stylish People
Tags: celebrities, diy style, Lupita Nyongo