DIY: Sequin Trompe L’Oeil Peter Pan Collar T-Shirt

Sometimes elevating a Summer tee from plain to something more requires a bit of sparkle.  Using sequin trim to create t-shirt details that don’t exist makes for a fun and unique piece that looks lovely paired with skirts and dressier shorts – and a t-shirt that’s a little more chic than your average white tee.  And it’s super-simple!  Here’s how to make your own:

You Need:

t-shirt  /  sequin trim in your choice of color  /  fabric chalk  /  Embellish It! fabric glue  /  paper  /  pen  /  scissors  /   hand-sewing needle & matching thread (optional)

How to: 1. Lay your shirt on a flat surface.  Use a piece of paper to sketch half of the Peter Pan-style collar, and cut out to create your template.

2. Draw around the collar template with fabric chalk, flipping over to create the other side of the collar.  Also add two faux “buttons” as circles on the front of the tee, and a fake “pocket” if you like.

3. Spread fabric glue over the lines you drew and very carefully place the sequin trim in the glue.

Flip the shirt over and glue down the trim at the back once the front is dry enough to stay in place.  Overlap the ends of the trim a little, then trim down once the glue has dried a little.

4.  Allow to dry enough so the sequins aren’t sliding around on top of the glue, but not enough so the glue has hardened completely.  Use your needle and thread to further tack down the ends where the trim meets itself with a couple hand-stitches.  (You can see that I switched out the thread to a color to match my sequin trim rather than my t-shirt when I realized how obvious the black thread would look.)

You’re done!

It’s amazing how just a simple tee can be jazzed up with a little bit of sparkle.  Try adding any details you want, including front plackets, different-shaped buttons, interesting collars, or faux seams.  You can even try different types of trim, or even beads on a string like my Bead-Edged Cut-Out Shoulder Top tutorial here!  (You may have to hand-stitch the trim down if it is bulky and heavy like the beads on a string.)

Happy DIY’ing!

xoxox

~If you liked this DIY, please share it!~

17 Comments on DIY: Sequin Trompe L’Oeil Peter Pan Collar T-Shirt

1. Donner
    8.25.2012 at 11:48 am (3 years ago)

Loves it! I’m thinking some heat-set crystals would look great as well…

Sequin designed shirts were huge in the 70’s. Giant lips, hearts, peace signs. Very groovy!

2. Nury
    8.26.2012 at 12:16 pm (3 years ago)

Omg this is soo cute! I HAVE to dyi this, I just have to. Love it!

3. Kate
    9.14.2012 at 4:45 pm (3 years ago)

Carly, this is great! Definitely think I’m going to try this!!!
    Kate recently posted..Hello, Boot Season!

4. CrystalsRus
    9.25.2012 at 8:16 am (3 years ago)

Brilliant! I love the look. I will definitely try this with one. Perhaps it will look good too using Iron on Rhinestones. What do you think?

5. Theresa
    12.16.2012 at 4:01 pm (3 years ago)

In love. I’m going out to get the supplies tomorrow!! Can’t wait to wear it with this perfect tutu for a holiday party!!

6. Jess Mead
    12.30.2012 at 5:39 pm (3 years ago)

seriously love this!

7. Erin
    7.22.2013 at 1:40 pm (2 years ago)

cute pattern! I recently did this with a cheap tshirt but just added the sequins along the trim of the neckline, sleeves and bottom.

7.22.2013 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Erin! It’s amazing how much more sophisticated a simple tee can look with some sequins :-) All hail glitter and bling!!

8. Mia @ shelovestocraft
    1.29.2015 at 10:55 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you so much for sharing your process, such a cute shirt. I’m not exactly a sequins type, but I would certainly wear this.
    Mia @ shelovestocraft recently posted..Paste Eater

1.30.2015 at 8:30 am (5 months ago)

Thanks, Mia! You can use any type of trim you like if you’d prefer a non-sequined version…plus it might be easier to wash 😉

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY: Sequin Trompe L’Oeil Peter Pan Collar T-Shirt

1. […] ŞERİT ŞEKLİNDE OLAN PUL -PAYETLERE IHTIYAC VAR HEPSI BU YAPIM AŞAMALARI  VE DIGER RESİMLER BURDA […]

2. […] DIY Trompe L’Oeil Peter Pan Collar Sequin T-Shirt […]