I noticed these beautiful embellished ballet flats in my favorite Japanese magazine, Vivi, back in Winter of 2010. They’re Miu Miu, available in lovely pastel colors, and boast a pretty hefty pricetag ($745!).
I figured I could make my own lookalikes from a pair of shoes I already had. And it cost less than $15! Here’s how…
*gold beads in two sizes
*scrapbooking stickers in settings (Jolee’s All that Bling! vintage gems dimensional stickers series – available at Michael’s stores) or sew-on jewels in settings
*grosgrain or satin ribbon matching shoes
*painter’s masking tape
*acetone-based nailpolish remover (optional)
*glue for vinyl (I used Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive)
Paint the Toes
1. The Miu Miu shoes have a pretty gold toe that I’d like to emulate. I masked off both the sole part of my shoes and the toe area; stuffed the insides with newspaper, placed on old newspapers, and sprayed gold paint on the toes outside on my deck. (Follow directions on the paint for an opaque finish.)
2. After the paint has dried, remove the tape. If you find the paint has gotten on areas of the shoes you don’t want painted, it’s easy to remove with a Q-tip dipped in acetone nailpolish remove (just don’t scrub the shoe lest you damage the shoe material).
4. Place a daub of glue where you want each jewel to be, and press the jewel down into the glue. You want the glue to form a “lip” around the edge of the jewel to secure it firmly to the shoe.
5. Use the toothpick to clean up any extra glue.
Add the Beads 6. Start threading the beads onto the thread, and then place against the shoe in the area you want to cover so you can see how many beads you need. For the beads around the jewels, add enough beads to your thread to go completely around the jewel (or halfway, where appropriate). Knot loosely.
7. Squeeze a line of glue around the jewel, slip the circle of beads over it, and tie the two ends of the thread together tightly in a double knot, right up against the edge of the jewel. Snip the thread ends, and tuck them into the glue.
8. For the line of beads at the top of the gold area, thread the beads onto the thread and tie the thread around each end bead so they don’t slip off. Squeeze a line of glue where you want, and press the beads into it. Wrap the ends of the thread under the beads and push into the glue.
Finish with a Bow
7. Cut 2 long lengths of ribbon. Tie each into a small bow (if you have trouble making your bow symmetrical, follow this illustration from MarthaStewartWeddings.com).
9. Stitch a couple stitches into the backs of the bows to secure them. (I’m using white thread so you can see my messy stitching.;-)
10. Place a generous amount of glue above the gold-painted toes and press the bow onto each shoe. Allow to dry.
Hair: Mimic by Easihair scrunchie in 27B (Peach Tart)
DIY Peter Som Fabric-Embellished Cardigan: my DIY; tutorial available here
Pearl Bracelet: Swarovski
Pink Croco-embossed Belt: don’t remember
Pleated Schoolgirl Skirt: Gap
~If you liked this post, please share the DIY!~