Almost missed this, lovely readers: the Altuzarra for Target Collection launched on September 14, featuring a limited-edition Fall Collection of women’s ready-to-wear, lingerie, accessories and shoes.
Celebrated for a clever combination of French sophistication and American ease, and appealing to refined, independent women — like celebrity devotees Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Bosworth and Cameron Diaz, to name a few — Altuzarra sets the stage for elegance. With nearly 50 pieces ranging in price from $17.99 to $89.99, you’ll want to start making room in your closets for this must-have collaboration now.
This DIY tutorial has likely been done already hundreds of times in the aftermath of Tom Binns releasing his neon cameo collection in Spring 2012 – but what’s once more? I love the juxtaposition of elegant, old-world cameos harkening back to the times of daguerrotypes and intaglio portraits…rendered in full-on neon for the modern age. You can make your own easily, with some paint, rhinestone chain, and a soft embossing metal as backing – with no one the wiser as to how your unique creation came about. Here’s how:
1 cameo (and this place has the best selection!) / rhinestone cup chain / gold embossing metal / scissors / jump ring / pliers / wire-cutting pliers / jewelry glue (not pictured) / pin or awl (not pictured) / paint in 2 neon colors / primer or white paint / pen / paintbrush / matte sealant (optional, not pictured)
How To: 1. Since cameo colors are usually fairly opaque, you may want to prime your cameo first with a coat of primer, or just a coat of white paint. Allow to dry.
2. Paint the cameo. Usually it’s easiest to paint the lighter color first, than the brighter or darker color next. You may have to do a couple coats of each color to fully hide the color of the original cameo.
3. (optional) Paint a coat of sealant on he cameo to hide brushstrokes and prevent paint chipping. Allow to dry.
4. Glue the cameo onto a small piece of embossing metal.
5. Place the rhinestone chain around the cameo, and cut to desired length.
6. Spread glue on the back of the rhinestone chain, and glue to the metal backing around the cameo.
7. When dry, poke a hole in the embossing metal with a pin or awl.
8. Trim the metal close around the chain, and use the side of the scissors to fold it to cup the chain so no sharp edges stick out.
9. Thread a jumping through the hole you made, onto a necklace.
And you’re done!
Wear with something dark and modern for contrast, or pair with a pastel frilly corset for your best Marie Antoinette impression!
Yes, Pacifc Northwest peeps, it’s that time of year again – the leaves start turning, the air is crisp, grumpy children are bemoaning school starting again (and I speak from experience)…and it’s the Portland Bloggers annual Back to Blogging School event.
And you won’t want to miss this one!
This year we will be discussing blog design and branding. Join us for an informative morning of learning about furthering your blog brand through good visual communication, designing at home or working with a pro to create custom graphics and layout, and making consistency and clarity easy in your ongoing blogging!
We have several local designers giving presentations, including yours truly: ME! I’ve be giving a presentation on How To Create a Style Guide for your blog – and announcing this big, top-secret project I’ve been working on (and if you’re a blogger, you definitely won’t want to miss it!)
Portland-based uber-awesome sock company Sock It To Me is celebrating their 10th Anniversary. Crack the champagne home-brewed beer! [cuz it's Portland]
They are inviting sock fanatics from around the world to submit a unique sock design for a chance to win $5,000, $1,000 and $500 in cash and products – and have their design manufactured in Sock It to Me’s next collection. The contest runs from September 5 – 26 and is open to artists of all ages and talents.
The Grand Prize Winner will get a cash prize of $5000, their design manufactured on real socks, and 15 pairs of awesome Sock It to Me socks from our current line!
A second place winner will receive $1000 and 10 pairs of socks.
Third place winner will get $500 and 5 pairs of socks.
I am now the Social Media Marketing Manager for Studio 3 here in Portland! They are a very high-end photography studio, for product and food and beverage and lifestyle – and they also do video and CGI and digital art and just all-around fantastic stuff, working with a variety of established brands.
I couldn’t be more thrilled with my new job (which is a part-time gig, so I will still continue to blog here) and am looking forward to driving their online presence (plus doing a little advanced SEO for their website. All in a day’s work, my friends!)
So yay for the new!
Follow Studio 3 on their social media channels to see what I’ll be sharing daily about this awesome photography and video powerhouse:
I apologize for my week-long absence…things have been just crazy with Lil Tot going back to school and getting back into the school routine. And I have an announcement to make soon – can’t wait to share!
I snapped up a Stylestalker Space Jam T-shirt style dress from Shopbop in February – I just couldn’t pass up the cool pattern on it. (All it needs is a kitten shooting rainbows out of its eyes and then its the perfect Dark Side of the Moon-style CD album artwork. Or something like that.) Unfortunately it was the last dress left and at a size 4 it was a little too tight here and there on me (at the time in February). The mantra I live by:
Welcome to another installment of Chic for the Week, where I share a couple shopping picks that have been on my mind lately.
How is everyone’s Labor Day Weekend going?
I am taking this long, lazy weekend to get caught up on household chores and repairs (we have a blind that fell off a high window about 20 feet off the ground, and a closet door that fell off its hinges – seriously, what’s with everything falling off lately??)…and spend some fun time with Lil Tot.
Today is the Oregon State Fair and we are going with a friend to ride ourselves sick on the Round Up and Scrambler. LOVE the Scrambler – it brings back my favorite childhood memories.
I want to keep things cool, casual and yet a little bit edgy this weekend. Here are a couple items I feel need to be added to my closet stat:
2. Have you ever discovered the PERFECT pair of ripped-up, distressed jeans…and been completely distressed the first time you wash them and the denim rips to shreds? It’s a pet peeve of mine, since it renders your jeans ripped even further every time you try to clean them…and eventually shortens their lifespan. What I’ve just discovered about Blank Denim (and I can’t get enough of it!!) is that they patch their jeans with same-colored denim under the rips to prevent your jeans falling apart in the wash. (Plus they prevent embarrassing skin showing; you can wear these jeans to more conservative places without wondering if the rips are just revealing a bit too much.) I LOVE this extra design detail, and these Distressed Boyfriend Jeans are my new favorites.
3. Heading to the fair means I have to keep all my stuff with me, even when upside down on the Tower of Terror. This New Look XHatch Formal Backpack will keep all my things safe (and looking oh-so-chic as well!). Also, just today at ASOS.com, you can get 75% off sale items + another 10% off with code HAVE10. (Ends 3 AM EST tomorrow morning)
4. These Y.R.U. Qloud Keeper sneaks are super-unique with the Lucite platform, and maybe they’re not totally down-to-eart and relaxed, but boy do I want to try these out.