Yes, Pacifc Northwest peeps, it’s that time of year again – the leaves start turning, the air is crisp, grumpy children are bemoaning school starting again (and I speak from experience)…and it’s the Portland Bloggers annual Back to Blogging School event.
And you won’t want to miss this one!
This year we will be discussing blog design and branding. Join us for an informative morning of learning about furthering your blog brand through good visual communication, designing at home or working with a pro to create custom graphics and layout, and making consistency and clarity easy in your ongoing blogging!
We have several local designers giving presentations, including yours truly: ME! I’ve be giving a presentation on How To Create a Style Guide for your blog – and announcing this big, top-secret project I’ve been working on (and if you’re a blogger, you definitely won’t want to miss it!)
Date: Saturday, Sept. 27
Time: 10 AM – 12:30 PM
Location: Portland Community College, Sylvania Campus, 12000 SW 49th Ave. TCB Building, Room 218
Spots are limited, so buy your ticket now!!
They say that content is king for building a blog – but a beautiful, professional digital space to share the content is queen!
I hope to see you gals and guys there!
Portland Blogger Meetup, Portland Bloggers
Portland-based uber-awesome sock company Sock It To Me is celebrating their 10th Anniversary. Crack the
champagne home-brewed beer! [cuz it's Portland]
They are inviting sock fanatics from around the world to submit a unique sock design for a chance to win $5,000, $1,000 and $500 in cash and products – and have their design manufactured in Sock It to Me’s next collection. The contest runs from September 5 – 26 and is open to artists of all ages and talents.
- The Grand Prize Winner will get a cash prize of $5000, their design manufactured on real socks, and 15 pairs of awesome Sock It to Me socks from our current line!
- A second place winner will receive $1000 and 10 pairs of socks.
- Third place winner will get $500 and 5 pairs of socks.
Good luck – and may the best socks win!
Announcements, Contests, Cool Brands, Portland Designers
contests, DIY contests, Portland, Sock It To Me
As I hinted on Sunday and snapped on Instagram, I do indeed have a big announcement. So here it goes…
I am now the Social Media Marketing Manager for Studio 3 here in Portland! They are a very high-end photography studio, for product and food and beverage and lifestyle – and they also do video and CGI and digital art and just all-around fantastic stuff, working with a variety of established brands.
I couldn’t be more thrilled with my new job (which is a part-time gig, so I will still continue to blog here) and am looking forward to driving their online presence (plus doing a little advanced SEO for their website. All in a day’s work, my friends!)
So yay for the new!
Follow Studio 3 on their social media channels to see what I’ll be sharing daily about this awesome photography and video powerhouse:
It’ll take your breath away.
About Me, Announcements
Who knew Alan Alda was such a genius?
Be brave enough to life life creatively. The creative place where no one else has ever been.
Made on ShareasImage.
Thoughts & Wisdom
I apologize for my week-long absence…things have been just crazy with Lil Tot going back to school and getting back into the school routine. And I have an announcement to make soon – can’t wait to share!
I snapped up a Stylestalker Space Jam T-shirt style dress from Shopbop in February – I just couldn’t pass up the cool pattern on it. (All it needs is a kitten shooting rainbows out of its eyes and then its the perfect Dark Side of the Moon-style CD album artwork. Or something like that.) Unfortunately it was the last dress left and at a size 4 it was a little too tight here and there on me (at the time in February). The mantra I live by: So I went about to alter it to be a little more skimming, and here’s how you could do the same to a straight-shaped dress that just needs a little extra something:
You Need: (more…)
Advice, Clothing, DIY, Dresses, How-To, My DIYs, Sewing
dress, My DIY Tutorials, sewing
Welcome to another installment of Chic for the Week
, where I share a couple shopping picks that have been on my mind lately.
How is everyone’s Labor Day Weekend going?
I am taking this long, lazy weekend to get caught up on household chores and repairs (we have a blind that fell off a high window about 20 feet off the ground, and a closet door that fell off its hinges – seriously, what’s with everything falling off lately??)…and spend some fun time with Lil Tot.
Today is the Oregon State Fair and we are going with a friend to ride ourselves sick on the Round Up and Scrambler. LOVE the Scrambler – it brings back my favorite childhood memories.
I want to keep things cool, casual and yet a little bit edgy this weekend. Here are a couple items I feel need to be added to my closet stat:
1. This Feeling Spine Tank is cool and relaxed; love the rocker-vibe it has too it. (I actually own a similar piece from Sauce I got a couple years ago, and it’s still one of my faves.)
2. Have you ever discovered the PERFECT pair of ripped-up, distressed jeans…and been completely distressed the first time you wash them and the denim rips to shreds? It’s a pet peeve of mine, since it renders your jeans ripped even further every time you try to clean them…and eventually shortens their lifespan. What I’ve just discovered about Blank Denim (and I can’t get enough of it!!) is that they patch their jeans with same-colored denim under the rips to prevent your jeans falling apart in the wash. (Plus they prevent embarrassing skin showing; you can wear these jeans to more conservative places without wondering if the rips are just revealing a bit too much.) I LOVE this extra design detail, and these Distressed Boyfriend Jeans are my new favorites.
3. Heading to the fair means I have to keep all my stuff with me, even when upside down on the Tower of Terror. This New Look XHatch Formal Backpack will keep all my things safe (and looking oh-so-chic as well!). Also, just today at ASOS.com, you can get 75% off sale items + another 10% off with code HAVE10. (Ends 3 AM EST tomorrow morning)
4. These Y.R.U. Qloud Keeper sneaks are super-unique with the Lucite platform, and maybe they’re not totally down-to-eart and relaxed, but boy do I want to try these out.
Hope everyone has an amazing weekend!
Chic For the Week, Wishlist Items
The time to return back to school is upon us – and Darby Smart has some fun back-to-school DIY kits that will get you set for another year of academic success. How about a:
Top row: Leather Tassel Keychain / Scrabble Tile Mousepad / Leather Infinity Scarf
Middle row: Cross Stitch Tote / Build a Clock
Bottom row: Gold Statement Stack of Bracelets / Studded Cobalt Clutch / Painted Bamboo Phone Case
And my DIY Agate Keepsake Box Kit is also still available!
And Happy Back to School!!
Cool Sites, DIY, DIY Materials
Darby Smart, DIY Kits
Sharp-shouldered short-sleeve jacket: Forever 21 (similar here
). Chain choker with rhinestones: Forever 21 (similar here
). Hashtag t-shirt: 2KUHL. Silver cube ring: Karmaloop (similar here
). Gray Watch with pink chevron face: Modify Watches. Silver wrapped quartz bangle: DIY
). Foldover stone leather handbag: Gorjana (sold out, similar here
, use DEALS
for an extra 20% off; and here
). Laser cut pencil skirt: Re:Named
. Suede Laney wrap heels: Joe’s Jeans
I’ve been applying to jobs lately. Full-time, part-time, whatever seems a good match for me. Still working on my blog, still working on making videos, but do need to supplement out of necessity now. So I’ve been applying since May, and finally, finally got a call about coming in on an interview. (more…)